The place in the wheelhouse with a commanding view and which is used by navigators when commanding, maneuvering and controlling a ship’s mouvements. Regulations on Navigation on Panama Canal Waters define the following normal conning positions:
- Conning Position No.1 is located directly behind and close to the forward centre wheelhouse window.
- Conning Position No.2 is located to port of Conning Position No.1, directly behind and close to the nearest window, thereto, so that it provides a clear, unobstructed view ahead.
- Conning Position No. 3 is located to starboard of Conning Position No.1
- Conning Position No. 4 is located at the extreme end of the port bridge wing.
- Conning Position No. 5 is located at the extreme end of the starboard bridge wing.