Rocks & mirror
Encyclopedia of Marine and Energy Technology



Vertical partition walls which subdivide the ship interior into watertight compartments. Bulkheads reduce the extent of seawater flooding in case of damage and provide additional stiffness to the hull girder. They can be flat or corrugated.

After peak bulkhead – A bulkhead which forms the forward boundary of the aft peak.

Collision bulkhead – The foremost main transverse watertight bulkhead. It extends from the bottom of the hold to the freeboard deck or to the forecastle deck and is designed to keep water away from the forward hold in case of bow collision damage.

Corrugated bulkheads – Bulkheads with corrugated plating, eliminating the need for welded stiffeners.

Engine room bulkhead – A transverse bulkhead either directly forward or aft of the engine room.

Portable bulkhead, removable bulkhead – Steel construction used to divide a long hold into separated sections.

“The box-shaped cargo hold can be subdivided into separated hold sections with the aid of two moveable grain bulkheads. These grain separations consist of double walled steel bulkhead sections, which are connected to the tanktop using the container corner fittings. Connections in the hatch coaming consist of a heavy socket corresponding with an opening in the grain bulkhead section. A heavy pin through both parts of the connection secures the bulkhead in position. The pin can be inserted from outside. The bulkhead sections are handled with an electro-hydraulic driven traveling hatch cover crane. When not in use the bulkhead sections can be stowed away in such a way that they do not encroach with the ship,s cargo hold space.”

Strength bulkhead – Bulkhead that contributes to the strength of a vessel.

Swash bulkhead – Longitudinal or transverse non tight bulkhead fitted in tank to reduce the surge of the liquid when the ship rolls and pitches, and consequently to reduce the dynamic impact (sloshing forces) of the liquid on the surrounding structure. A plate used for this purpose but not extending to the bottom of the tank is called a swash plate.