Rocks & mirror
Encyclopedia of Marine and Energy Technology

Anti-roll tanks, tank stabilisers


Transverse tanks installed at suitable height and distance from the ship center line in order to generate anti-rolling forces by phased flow of large volume of liquid. Fluid transfer may be done by open flume or from and to wing tanks connected by cross ducts. See alsoInteringTM tank stabilisation systems.

Passive anti-roll tanks require large volumes of liquid in order to absorb a significant amount of roll energy. There are two general types of passive anti-roll tanks: the free-surface tank and U-tube tank .