Preparing for Energy Efficiency Existing Vessels Index
By December 2023 all existing merchant, cruise and ferry vessels, above 400 GT* and which engage in international trade, must comply with the requirements of the IMO’s Energy Efficiency Existing Ship Index (EEXI), which defines a minimum energy
efficiency level for vessels.
*falling under MARPOL Annex VI
Wärtsilä 2-Stroke Engine Power Limitation is an upgrade package for vessels with Wärtsilä, WinGD and Sulzer branded 2-Stroke low-speed engines that will enable safe compliance with the new requirements. The solution is designed to be installed in less than one day and has been designed in collaboration with some of the major classification societies.
Wärtsilä 2-Stroke Engine Power Limitation
How it works
- Wärtsilä 2-Stroke Engine Power Limitation solution limits the amount of fuel injected when the engine output reaches the Engine Power Limit (EPL) value.
- For electronically controlled engines, Wärtsilä 2-Stroke Engine Power Limitation functionality is integrated in the engine control software and the power is controlled by limiting the fuel amount.
- For mechanically controlled engines a new EPL interface box is installed.
- The system can be overridden by the ship's master or officer of the watch with a switch on the bridge.
- Overrides are automatically logged for reporting purposes.
Scope of supply
- Software with EPL functionality (electronically controlled engines) or EPL interface box (mechanically controlled engines)
- EPL parts
- Installation, commissioning and verification
- EPL documentation
Please fill in the form, we aim to respond within 1-2 business days depending on the enquiry. For an existing installation, provide all necessary details to identify the installation and the equipment. Fields indicated with an asterisk (*) are required.
Find your local Wärtsilä office here