The Wärtsilä Retractable Underwater Mountable Thruster (WST-65RU) has been designed to meet the needs of large offshore construction vessels (OCVs) as well as semi-submersible rigs and drill ships.
With its power output up to 6500kW it is typically designed for vessels that require thrusters that can be retracted during transit of while entering shallow waters, to increase the level of operational flexibility. Additionally, the WST-65RU thruster can be mounted or de-mounted while the vessel is afloat, to facilitate thruster maintenance and overhaul during the operational lifecycle meaning there is no requirement for drydocking. The WST-65RU is the first retractable thruster in the market to feature the unique combination of retractable and underwater mountable functionality.
The WST-65RU is based on the WST-65U underwater mountable thruster which has been designed with performance and reliability as key requirements. The 8° tilted propeller shaft solution is a feature which is also found on Wärtsilä Underwater Mountable thrusters and reduces the interaction between the thrusters and hull significantly, thereby enhancing the dynamic positioning performance of the vessel. The outboard part of WST-65RU is exchangeable with WST-65U, optimizing maintenance and spare part strategies.
In combination with Wärtsilä’s PCMS (Propulsion Condition Monitoring Service) downtime and maintenance costs can be minimized.
- 8° tilted propeller shaft delivers 20% higher thrust
- Retractable to improve vessel hydrodynamics and enable operations in shallower water
- Thruster outboard part can be exchanged without dry docking the vessel: mounting and de-mounting while afloat. (exchangeable with WST-65U)
- Use of telescopic shaft technology allows the E-motor to remain static
- Integrated solution provides smallest possible area footprint and overall lighter construction
- Based on proven recognizable technology and in-house propeller design know-how