Wärtsilä's Interim Report January-September 2018
GOOD DEVELOPMENT IN NET SALES
This release is a summary of Wärtsilä’s Interim Report January-September 2018. The complete report is attached to this release as a pdf-file. It is also available at http://www.wartsilareports.com/en-US/2018/q3/frontpage/ and on the company website at www.wartsila.com.
THIRD QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
- Order intake stable at EUR 1,372 million (1,354)
- Net sales increased 13% to EUR 1,330 million (1,175)
- Book-to-bill 1.03 (1.15)
- Comparable operating result increased to EUR 141 million (131), which represents 10.6% of net sales (11.2)
- Earnings per share increased to 0.17 euro (0.14)
- Cash flow from operating activities decreased to EUR 122 million (150)
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE REVIEW PERIOD JANUARY-SEPTEMBER 2018
- Order intake increased 7% to EUR 4,433 million (4,130)
- Net sales increased 5% to EUR 3,642 million (3,471)
- Book-to-bill 1.22 (1.19)
- Comparable operating result improved to EUR 352 million (335), which represents 9.7% of net sales (9.7)
- Earnings per share increased to 0.39 euro (0.35)
- Cash flow from operating activities decreased to EUR 121 million (154)
- Order book at the end of the period increased 16% to EUR 5,918 million (5,107)
WÄRTSILÄ’S PROSPECTS FOR 2018
The demand for Wärtsilä’s services and solutions in 2018 is expected to improve somewhat from the previous year. Demand by business area is anticipated to be as follows:
- Solid in Services (lowered from good). Although there are growth opportunities in selected regions and segments, the development of transactional service volumes has been slower than anticipated.
- Good in Energy Solutions. The global shift towards renewable energy sources and increasing electricity demand in the emerging markets are supporting the need for distributed and flexible power capacity, including gas-fired generation, energy storage, and smart integration technology.
- Good in Marine Solutions. Wärtsilä’s demand outlook is supported by its extensive product mix and broad segment exposure, which compensates for the slow pace of recovery in overall vessel contracting.
Wärtsilä’s current order book for 2018 deliveries is EUR 1,364 million (1,206) and is comprised mainly of equipment deliveries. Services’ business is largely transactional, with only around 30% of its annual net sales coming from the order book.
JAAKKO ESKOLA, PRESIDENT AND CEO
“Wärtsilä's net sales developed well in the third quarter, thanks to the strong growth in newbuild marine and energy deliveries. This, in combination with slower than anticipated development in transactional service volumes, is affecting the group sales mix and burdening profitability.
In the marine industry, the approaching IMO 2020 sulphur regulations have resulted in increased demand for exhaust gas cleaning systems. This boosted order intake in both Marine Solutions and Services. Marine Solutions’ orders were further supported by the continued high level of activity in the cruise and ferry segment. In the energy markets, postponed investment decisions for certain projects adversely affected Energy Solutions’ order intake. Nevertheless, a healthy project pipeline provides confidence in improved activity going forward.
In August, Wärtsilä announced that it will build a new centre for research, development and production, in Vaasa, Finland. When finalised in 2020, this Smart Technology Hub will enable more agile and efficient testing, development, and production of solutions for the maritime, oil and gas, and energy industries. Another key step in the execution of our strategies was the decision to reorganise into two business areas, Wärtsilä Marine Business and Wärtsilä Energy Business, as of the beginning of next year. By forming two business areas that cover both new sales and services, we will enhance customer value through a stronger focus on lifecycle solutions tailored to specific market needs. Customers will also benefit from increased flexibility and even faster response times. I firmly believe that this will support our progression towards our long-term financial targets.”
|Order book at the end of the period
|% of net sales
|Comparable operating result
|% of net sales
|Comparable adjusted EBITA
|% of net sales
|Profit before taxes
|Cash flow from operating activities
|Net interest-bearing debt at the end of the period
|Gross capital expenditure
¹Items affecting comparability in the third quarter comparison period included costs related to restructuring programmes of EUR 4 million. During the review period January-September 2018 restructuring and acquisition related costs amounted to EUR 15 million (19).
As of 1 January 2018, Wärtsilä has adopted the IFRS 15 Revenue from Contracts with Customers standard by using the full retrospective method. This interim report is published according to the new standard and comparison periods for 2017, including the opening balance sheet, have been restated accordingly. Wärtsilä has also restated the 2017 figures for Marine Solutions and Services, due to an internal transfer of certain service activities. This transfer has no impact on Group totals.
The share issue without payment approved by Wärtsilä’s Annual General Meeting on 8 March 2018 increased the total number of Wärtsilä shares to 591,723,390. The share related figures in the comparison periods have been adjusted to reflect the increased number of shares.
ANALYST AND PRESS CONFERENCE
An analyst and press conference will be held today, Tuesday 23 October 2018, at 10.00 a.m. Finnish time (8.00 a.m. UK time), at the Wärtsilä headquarters in Helsinki, Finland. The combined web- and teleconference will be held in English and can be viewed at the following address: http://wcc.webeventservices.com/r.htm?e=1849565&s=1&k=18AE3C34574717396A195C88FA7BB0A0
To participate in the teleconference, please register at the following address: http://emea.directeventreg.com/registration/5687622. You will receive dial-in details by e-mail once you have registered. If problems occur, please press *0 for operator assistance. Please press *6 to mute your phone during the teleconference and to unmute.
An on-demand version of the webcast will be available on the company website later the same day.
For further information, please contact:
Executive Vice President & CFO
Tel: +358 10 709 5444
Director, Investor Relations
Tel: +358 10 709 5637
For press information, please contact:
Executive Vice President, Communications & Branding
Tel: +358 10 709 5599
Wärtsilä in brief
Wärtsilä is a global leader in smart technologies and complete lifecycle solutions for the marine and energy markets. By emphasising sustainable innovation, total efficiency and data analytics, Wärtsilä maximises the environmental and economic performance of the vessels and power plants of its customers. In 2017, Wärtsilä’s net sales totalled EUR 4.9 billion with approximately 18,000 employees. The company has operations in over 200 locations in more than 80 countries around the world. Wärtsilä is listed on Nasdaq Helsinki.
Interim Report January-September 2018