8 March 2017 - Wärtsilä Italia, on the occasion of the international women’s day, has organized for the second year in a row, in collaboration with the internal Trade Unions - Rappresentanza Sindacale Unitaria (RSU), a round table entitled "#BeBoldForChange - Diversity, Communication and Project Management"
Aimed at giving value to differences not only in the work environment, the round table was conceived as a tool to further discuss the issue with the experience of technical and non technical speakers, on the importance of acquiring and integrate different competences and skills as well as the fundamental role of efficient communication in the management of complex projects in a constantly changing reality, offering a vision of change as a growth opportunity for both people and organizations.
Raffele Ferrio, HR Director of Wärtsilä Italia, opened the discussion welcoming guests and colleagues: "We are proud to celebrate 8th March by hosting an event of this kind and give our collaborators the chance of discussing about a stimulating topic such as the enhancement of diversity. We have merged the international women’s day celebrations with our internal project on Diversity. Thanks to Wärtsilä Italia – Diversity team, coordinated by Marina Mottolese, HR Project & Process Manager, that actively promotes dialogue on Diversity within the company, this project continues to grow and new contents and ideas have been added every year, which have brought about interesting initiatives such as this year’s short film - Diversity 2017".
The floor was given to Cinzia Verdi, Training Coordinator, representing the company’s RSU, who welcomed guests.
The meeting was chaired by Cristina Vascotto, PMP® - Manager, Project Management Prod & JVs.
During the event the short film "DIVERSITY 2017" was presented – directed by Elisabetta Gustini – in which some women in Wärtsilä Italia talked about their experience in the company and how they were able to face diversity and turn it into a growth opportunity. The protagonists are members of the team Wärtsilä Italia – Diversity: Paola Machetta, Manager, Investigation Laboratories 4S, Marina Mottolese, Aggeliki Pastrikaki, Coordinator, PCM, South Europe & Africa, Emanuela Rusconi, Manager, SEAF Contract Centre, Giorgia Valentini, Taxation Manager, Cristina Vascotto and Cinzia Verdi.
The participants in the round table were:
- Alessandro Marzo Magno - renowned journalist and writer who spoke about "Let’s put different stories into the spotlight", starting from stories of women in the past who were able to reach outstanding results.
- Miriam Korsic - Consultant dealing with finance and banking – her story "Communication, integration of competences" focussed on the importance of proper training and competence as a means to succeed in a purely or traditionally male domain and approach other communication models.
- Donatella Debidda, PMP® - Director Branch FVG PMI - "Broadening the vision: the other side of competence" – provided an outline of gender distribution within the profession of certified project manager and explained how the acquisition of a systematic method has helped her integrate in highly technical work environments.
- Francesco Feruglio, PMP® - Program Manager Mangiarotti - with his speech on "The importance and complexity of communication in project management" explained how he found the communication key to reach and motivate different professional profiles within a company, from the interaction with the new managers of Toshiba-Westinghouse, to the blue collars of production.
- Emanuela Rusconi, PMP® - Manager, SEAF Contract Centre - "New technologies that give value to diversity" – explored how the experiences described by external guests are found inside the company, from the emergence of new and different competences necessary to face the digitalization world, to the need of understanding cultures and different environments that build up the fabric of 54 African states, what is the right way to approach and deeply understand the needs and priorities of clients and colleagues in those territories.
With these initiatives, Wärtsilä Italia aims at promoting dialogue on diversity at all company levels, it being an added value and essential feature to create innovation.