The solution is to enable communication between ports, vessels, and voyage optimisation tools in relation to JIT. Work has already been done in the area of setting standards for port call messaging.
1. The EU funded STM Validation project developed the Port Collaborative Decision Making (PortCDM) approach, including the voyage exchange format (RTZ). Wärtsilä has been an active participant in the STM initiative.
2. Collaborative environment is the space wherein Port Management Information Systems (PMIS) and/or Terminal Operating Systems (TOS) can communicate regarding available berth slots digitally, utilising open STM standards
3. Vessels need to be equipped with solutions allowing them to digitally receive the Recommended Time of Arrival (RTA), and to send the Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) information back to the open platform
4. Ideally, the RTA information would be used also for voyage optimisation, taking into consideration weather, route, speed, etc.
5. Technically, vessels would be able to be either integrated within their own fleet operations center and receive updated voyage plans from the center directly into their ECDIS systems, or operate on a stand-alone system
Connected ecosystem means a continuous dialogue between ports, vessels, and voyage optimisation tools in relation to a JIT arrival.
Where to start? Install the Wärtsilä Navi-planner system or upgrade your Wärtsilä ECDIS subscription to unlock the Wärtsilä Navi-Port feature.