This will be the 9th consecutive time that Wärtsilä joins in the global Earth Hour event. This is one more way of expressing our will to participate in the huge global push to combat climate change. We wish to invite the general public along with our employees worldwide to join this initiative by switching off all non-essential lighting and electrical equipment for an hour on Saturday 19 March at 8.30-9.30 PM local time.
We invite you to participate in the Earth Hour event!
Earth Hour campaign is an excellent reminder for all of us, that reducing unnecessary energy consumption is the easiest way to combat climate change. However, there are lots of other things we can also do to show our support for our common planet - turning off the lights is just the beginning. Here are several examples for our everyday lives:
- Turn off electronics at the end of each workday. Screen savers on computers and idle modes on other types of equipment consume energy even when not in use. During working hours enable the hibernation and sleep modes on your office computers.
- Do not waste food; eat all the food you buy from the shop as well as all the food you take on your plate in the cafeteria or self-made lunch.
- Use the stairs in the buildings instead of using the elevator. This will also have a positive health effect, energizing you for your work tasks.
- Take advantage of natural sunlight when convenient. If your office is set up to receive an ample amount of sunlight, you may be able to turn off lights completely for the majority of your workday.
- Say no to paper and plastic; use reusable bags as often as possible.
- Save paper; only print and make use of paper when necessary, and always print on both sides of the paper when possible.
- Walk or cycle to places and take public transportations.
- Avoid using disposables; utilize reusable lunch-boxes and water bottles as much as you can.
- Avoid unnecessary traveling; utilize Skype and Telepresence meetings whenever suitable.
Please go to the official Earth Hour site www.earthour.org and Sign up for Earth Hour, showing you support personally.
We invite all of you together with Wärtsilä employees to join in spreading the consciousness about the importance of energy efficiency.
“We encourage all local Wärtsilä companies to join in the Earth Hour. It reminds us all about the importance of energy saving, which is one of the best ways to combat climate change” says Marko Vainikka, Director, Corporate Relations and Sustainability.
Wärtsilä in brief:
Wärtsilä is a global leader in complete lifecycle power solutions for the marine and energy markets. By emphasizing technological innovation and total efficiency, Wärtsilä maximizes the environmental and economic performance of the vessels and power plants of its customers.
In 2015, Wärtsilä's net sales totaled EUR 5.0 billion with approximately 18,900 employees. The company has operations in more than 200 locations in nearly 70 countries around the world. Wärtsilä is listed on the Nasdaq Helsinki, Finland.