Environmental concerns have led to increasingly stringent emission legislation. What started as an onshore industry regulatory development is now impacting also the shipping industry. Shipping has lately faced multiple new regulations, and will soon be facing other major regulations. The global cap of 0.5% maximum content of sulphur in fuel from 2020, and the IMO Tier III regulations (specifying that NOx emissions must be 80% lower than at the IMO Tier I level) within Emission Control Areas will force the shipping industry to consider alternatives beyond today´s standard solutions.
1. Global maximum sulphur cap of 0.5%
2. NOx emissions - IMO Tier III within Emission Control Areas
3. Increasing costs because of emissions legislation
4. Alternatives fuels – LNG
5. The choice between low sulphur fuel, SOx scrubbers or LNG for newbuildings
6. Case example – 82k dwt bulkers
7. LNG fuelled 82k dwt bulker – Optimization of the propulsion machinery