Wärtsilä HY tug is designed for the following duties:
- To assist in the berthing and un-berthing operation of vessels calling at ports/ terminals
- To perform towing, ship handling operation in Ports/ terminals
- Fire-Fighting (optional)
LESS INSTALLED POWER
- This configuration will be able to keep the max bullard pull (BP) with less installed power in a certain time period based on design requirement. Using less engine power also decrease the amount of maintenance needed.The battery can be charged from the PTOs, genset or from shore connection.
LOW FUEL CONSUMPTION > EMISSIONS
- Significant reduced fuel consumption is achieved by operating the engines and propellers as close as possible to its optimal curve. Supported by the battery system to handle variations and low load modes.
LOW LOAD OPERATIONS ON BATTERY
- Transit ECO and Loitering modes can be operated purely on battery only.
OPTIMUM ENGINE LOADING
- It is possible to run engines at optimum load at all modes, and with the battery handling peaks, the engines will have a better operation that also will reduce the maintenance. For the Diesel mechanical - CPP Hybrid configuration, the electrical motor will also act as generator/ PTO (Power Take Off) with the combination including controllable pitch propellers.The converters gives the opportunity to run the main engines on variable rpm to follow the propeller curve.
- With the battery instant power available the load peaks will be handled by the PTI drive line and avoid the main engines to see these peaks.
COLD SYSTEM START-UP
- The necessity to wait for the engines to warm-up is overcome by the energy storage, leading to instant ship readiness.
AUTOMATIC POWER BACK-UP
- An increased level of safety is reached through emergency back-up algorithms and built-in redundancy of the power sources.
FLEXIBILITY IN POWER GENERATION
- For the Diesel electric Hybrid configuration, it gives the operator the best flexibility to run in the most efficient way between the gensets and batteries. Variable rpm on gensets and propellers to automatically select the optimum point at all modes.
REDUCED RUNNING HOURS
- Ref. comparison the engines running hours are reduced up to 58% due to this flexibility of correct engine loading and energy storage in the batteries.
CONNECTION FOR FUTURE POWER SOURCES
- By introducing the DC bus and batteries, the system is prepared for possible future upgrades and power source, e.g. fuel cell.
INCREASED RELIABILITY WITH LOW COMPLEXITY
- In case of failure on a generator, DC-bus or propulsion motor the vessel will still be able to operate with reduced BP. This means for an operator that the vessel is still in operation and will be able to get out of the sailing course for the assisted vessel in case of a failure.
EASY AND SAFE TO OPERATE
- Control system (Power & Energy Management System) and operator interface will secure an intuitive operation of the complete system. To enable the crew to keep full focus on the tug operation, the system has been developed to simply select mode of operation, then the control system will ensure that needed power for this mode. The control system will also secure that any sudden load step cannot overload the system.
INSTANT LOAD TAKING
- Due to the instant power available from the battery the response from the system improve the maneuverability of the vessel.