Floating storage and regasification barges
The smallest FSRUs today are around 120,000 m³. There are no small LNG carriers available that can be converted to FSRUs.
Wärtsilä has created a solution for this problem by designing a floating storage and regasification barge (FSRB) containing storage capacity from 7500 to 30,000 m³ and regasification systems. For larger storage needs multiple barges can be employed. The regasification and storage barges can be an attractive alternative to onshore satellite and bunkering terminals.
The barge can be equipped with the similar processes as the land-based solution. The process can also be split between the barge and land. This can be done, for example, by locating the LNG storage on the barge and process equipment and support facilities onshore. The barges utilise Type C-tanks for storage which eliminates the need for boil-off gas (BOG) handling.
Wärtsilä prefers to deliver the barge and necessary infrastructure onshore as a complete EPC. Wärtsilä can also provide services for total lifecycle solutions.
FSRB with a 15,000 m³ LNG storage.
FSRBs are preferred solution when
- An onshore tank facility is difficult to build
- The regulatory permits to build onshore are difficult to obtain
- The water is too shallow for FSRUs and large-scale LNG carriers
- Temporary solution is needed while more permanent facilities are being developed
- Limited demand cannot support a large-scale fixed facility or a conventional large-scale FSRU
- Demand is temporary → the FSRB can later be relocated or sold elsewhere
- Flexibility for adapting to changing market conditions is essential → capacity can quickly be increased by adding additional barge
Brochure: Floating storage and regasification barges (PDF)