Oil & Gas
Wärtsilä offers solutions, products and services for every phase of oil and gas exploration, production, transportation, storage and refining – both onshore and offshore. We are involved in bringing more than five million barrels of oil to the market every day, which is more than 6% of the total world production.
Read more about our Oil & Gas solutions on the global site.
One primary method for reducing emissions from a marine engine is to run on cleaner fuel. Operating with LNG fuel is an effective means of complying with current exhaust emissions legislation, since LNG is one of the few fuels which meets IMO regulations, Annex VI - Tier III air emissions.
Wärtsilä has led the way in developing technologies that make running on gas more available and safer than ever, providing a range of solutions including LNGPac™ Dual-Fuel engines, thus making natural gas increasingly viable as a propulsion fuel in marine applications. We offer the LNG fuel system on its own, as well as part of a complete propulsion system.
Wärtsilä LNGPac™ is a complete fuel gas handling system for LNG fuelled ships and includes the bunkering station, LNG tank and related process equipment as well as the control and monitoring system. Wärtsilä can deliver LNG fuel gas systems for propulsion and power generation for any applicable type of ship or engines.
Fuel flexibility gives owners and operators the chance to select the most suitable fuel depending on such factors as local environmental restrictions, fuel price variations, and fuel bunkering availability. Fuel flexibility also represents a safety feature of particular interest for marine applications. In the case of an interruption to the gas supply, dual-fuel (DF) engines automatically and instantly change to diesel operation without any loss in speed.
Wärtsilä is also the world’s largest designer offering many patented offshore oil and gas solutions. We provide fully integrated solutions for:
- AHTS – Anchor Handling Tug Supply Vessels
- OCV – Offshore Construction Vessels
- OSV – Offshore Supply Vessels
- PSV – Platform Supply Vessels
- DSV – Diving Support Vessels
- Seismic research vessels
- Jack-up vessels
The varying operational modes of OSVs require a unique design in order to achieve high fuel efficiency. Smart integration of the propulsion systems optimises the performance of thrusters and prime movers. With Wärtsilä’s Low Loss Concept, diesel-electric machinery is ultimately utilised in OSVs with variable speed solutions, reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
Did you know?
- Wärtsilä Canada has offshore oil and gas specialized equipment on almost all major platforms in Eastern Canada
- Wärtsilä provides a comprehensive scope of approved products and services, including pumps, valves, flares, fire suppressions systems, dynamic positioning, environmental water and air emissions control, alarm and monitoring
- Wärtsilä is one of the largest suppliers to the offshore oil and gas, exploration and production companies globally, with customers like Transocean, SeaDrill, Husky, and Suncor