Manage business driven and competitive supplies with right quality, lead time and cost according to Divisions/Business Lines specific requirements.
1. Management of the strategic sourcing activities for the whole lifecycle of the products, solutions and services
2. Create, develop and manage the supply chain
3. Manage supplier agreements, including price lists
4. Manage supplier quality, delivery reliability, lead time and cost
5. Secure supplier capacity
6. Secure supplier qualification and manage supplier development
7. Secure the ability for early supplier involvement in development and sales projects
In order to secure coordinated interfaces and synergies for the cross-divisional supplier base, Wärtsilä has a category management structure in place.
The main direct material products and components are divided into 18 different categories, based on cross-functional category teams. The direct material categories are divided under Wärtsilä Divisions based on the major volume distribution of the materials and components of each category. The categories are managed by a category team, headed by a Category Manager with his / her Strategic Purchasers and Supplier Development Engineers. The teams are cross-functionally linked to stakeholders from research & development, technology, product engineering as well as relevant representatives of the different businesses.
The indirect materials and services are divided into 9 categories. Indirect Purchasing belongs to the Finance & Control organization and is managing the strategic sourcing activities for indirect materials and services in all businesses and support functions.