Wärtsilä Fixed Pitch Propellers
Wärtsilä Fixed Pitch Propellers are recommended when optimal efficiency, reliability, and robustness is required.
Each ship’s hull has its own characteristics. In order to achieve the highest possible total efficiency of the vessel, the propeller must be a perfect match with the engine and the hull. A fixed pitch propeller is the choice when optimum efficiency, reliability and robustness are required. Fixed pitch propellers are usually installed for ocean sailing vessels, for example
- Container vessels
- Bulk carriers
- Dry cargo vessels
Wärtsilä FP propellers for all ship types guarantee maximum efficiency and minimum noise and vibration levels due to tailor-made designs with the latest available technology.
Wärtsilä’s patented Cunial material provides excellent casting, machining and fatigue properties. An additional advantage is thegood repairability. Wärtsilä FP propellers can be made to meet all requirements for the number and size of the blades.
FP propeller packages
The following propeller items can also be included in the package supplied:
- Hydrodynamic consultancy
- Alignment calculations
- Jackload calculations
- Whirling calculations
- Build-up propellers
- Propeller caps
- Hydraulic nut/ring
- Hydraulic mounting tools
- Torque measurement device
- Turning device
- Thrust bearing
- Earthing device
- Shaft locking device
- Shaft brake
Wärtsilä has developed complete propulsion systems based on fixed pitch propellers, for propeller diameters up to 3500 mm.
The most common ship types for this application are:
- Luxury yachts
- Government owned ships
- Ships designed for inland waterways
- Other special ships with diesel mechanic propulsion
For fixed pitch propulsion system the following characteristics apply:
- Tailor-made propellers with 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 blades in ISO class II, I and S accuracy
- Open propeller or propeller in 19A or Wärtsilä HR/HP nozzle
- Shafting system complete with sterntube, seals and bearings
Fitting a nozzle increases the thrust at relatively low ship speeds. Significant savings can be achieved in terms of fuel consumption, depending on the number of revolutions and the capacity of the motor.
The improved Wärtsilä high efficiency nozzle, type HR an HP, combined with a Wärtsilä propeller, can produce up to 10% more thrust than conventional nozzles, both in bollard pull and in free sailing condition. The nozzle profile offers a double profiled cross section (outside and innerside). This sophisticated shape improves the water flow both into and out of the nozzle, increasing thrust performance.
- Availability maximized with class approved PCMS PDF, 199Kb »
- PCMS Helps Avoid Problems and Can Cut Lifecycle Costs PDF, 209Kb »
- Propulsion Condition Monitoring Service (PCMS) PDF, 346Kb »
- Shaping the future of propulsion technology PDF, 358Kb »
- Ship propulsion train efficiency sensing PDF, 225Kb »
- Towards high performance pitch control PDF, 598Kb »
- Expanding in China to meet the future demand (in propulsion business) PDF, 194Kb »
The combined purse seiner and trawler 'Libas', delivered 2004, is a Wärtsilä Ship Design and is fitted with one Wärtsilä 12V32 main engine driving a gearbox with 1500 kW PTO/PTI, a booster and generator. »
For the 16400 dwt chemical tanker ‘Sten Idun’, delivered in 2003, Wärtsilä is supplying an extensive machinery package that includes a Wärtsilä 6L46 main engine, gearbox, controllable pitch propeller and rudder. »