Engine Services form the core of our activities. We provide complete services for engines and related systems, for Wärtsilä and other makes of engines.
You have full package services for Wärtsilä 2-stroke engines and other makes.
We ensure the reliable performance of our customers installations, from regular running hour based maintenance to accidental repair.
• Improve vessel operation efficiency through planned maintenance
• Ensure operation sustainability and engine risk reduction through pre-inspection
• Immediate response for parts and man power arrangement
• Technical support from respective engine maker experts
• Reduce fuel and lubricating oil consumption by improving the running condition
• Technical guidance after performance checks and evaluation
• Cylinder liner overhaul and inspection
• Cylinder cover overhaul
• Fuel pump overhaul and injection timing
• Crankshaft deflection measurement
• Piston / Gland Box overhaul
• Engine control system maintenance
• Engine performance check and evaluation
• Bearing overhaul and inspection
• Exhaust valve overhaul
• Cooler cleaning and overhaul
• Camshaft overhaul
• Gear train maintenance
Our service can cover
Wärtsilä product engines;
- All RD, RN, RL, RT type
- All RT-Flex type
- All ZA type, WICHMANN type
- All GMT type
You are provided custom-made packages that fit your needs and available time during the vessels’ port stay. The work scope will be agreed and communicated prior to the service.
Our engineers will visit your vessel with all needed tools to perform the agreed work.
The reports are made with standardized templates and measuring sheets allowing a proper follow-up of the engine condition over time.
Recommendations are added after each inspection for required actions and improvement proposals.
• Trouble-free operation of the electronic components of “intelligent” engines
• No surprises and early warnings about the piston-running condition
• Preventive maintenance and checks according to the equipment manuals
• Onboard checks during a normal port stay without any off-hire needs
RT-flex engine control system check:
• WECS components check
• WECS and Flex-View SW check
• Cabling and communication check.
• Crank angle mechanical component and signal check
Electronic cylinder lubrication system check:
• Lubrication pump condition check
• Measurement of the injected cylinder oil amount at each pump
• Lubrication quill tightness and opening pressure check
• Cabling and Software check
• Charging of Nitrogen accumulators.
Engine and Turbocharger performance check:
• Performance is compared with earlier measurements.
• Improvements and solutions are identified.
Piston running condition check:
• Piston ring and cylinder liner condition check
Piston ring groove wear measurement
Piston centering check.
We have highly qualified and skillful Retrofit Pulse Lubrication System(RPLS) installation teams with retrofit experience on numerous vessels.
With only one contact, you can cover your entire retrofit workscope including dismantling of existing systems, piping remake, fitting of new components, electrical work, and recommissioning of new RPLS systems including training of operators.
We miximize the satisfaction of our clients.
RPLS can be installed during normal service hours of the engine and/or at port with no off-hire time
- 15hours engine stand-still for Crank Angle Sensor(CAS) installation
- 7 days sailing with 4men onboard for installation
- 24hours engine stand-still for pre-commissioning, switch over and commissioning
- Short commissioning voyage from port to port for validation and eventual fine-tuning or the system
Alternatively RPLS can also be installed during dry-docking of the vessel.
RPLS reduces Cylinder Oil Consumption(CLO) by 30 to 50 percent leading to a remarkable reduction of total operation costs. The system also quarantees accurate metering and precise injection of CLO into the piston ring package and the environmental benefits of reduction in solid particle emissions due to reduced lube oil consumption.
Installation of the main component includes:
• Pulse lubricating module consisting of a dosage pump with electronically controlled timing
• New lubricator quills
• Filter and measuring system
• Servo oil supply unit
• Control system
• Crank angle sensors
• Pipe & electrical work
• Parameter set in RPLS FlexView software
• Cylinder oil consumption measurement
• Piston/Liner inspection
We offer the full retrofit package including materials, installation, commissioning and crew instructions.
• Optimized cylinder lubrication curve based on the engine power and not on the load indicator only
• Improved specific cylinder oil feed rate
• Reduction of cylinder oil costs & carbon deposits
• Improved reliability and increased safety
• Simple installation, eliminating weak mechanical parts
Modifications of existing system:
• Removal of the mechanical components which control the old load indicator dependent cylinder lubrication system
• Removal of the former control valve
• The new electronic lubrication control system is installed in an engine room mounted cabinet.
• A new proportional valve controlled by the CLU-1E system adjusts the load dependent cylinder oil pump speed.
• The CLU-1E is a stand-alone system, independent from the existing Remote Control System (RCS)
• Engine speed and load indicator signals are used to calculate the actual engine power and the optimal cylinder oil feed rate.
• Carried out when the vessel is in service during normal port stay
You can receive our full support and advice in required layout, installation, commissioning and piping/tank adaptations.
We also offer a range of support services, from operational advice and overall lubrication optimization programs to supply of additives and system oils. The system supply and support services can also be packaged in an Engine Lubrication Management Agreement, which will provide additional guarantees and benefits.
• Lower costs compared to using commercial cylinder oil
• Overall lube oil consumption reduction by re-use of used system oil
• Optimal constant low cylinder oil feed rate by variable BN blending, matching the fuel sulfur content
• Engine cleanliness and reduction of deposits due to regular replenishment of new system oil in main & auxiliary engine
• Optional XRF analyzer: Analysis of HFO for cat fines, fuel sulfur level and all lubricated systems, as well as onboard analysis of used lube oil and fuel oil analysis
What is BOB?
• The BOB system consists of a blender with a control panel and an optional XRF analyzer.
• The BOB produces the cylinder lubricating oil by blending used main engine system oil with additives.
• Instead of purchasing commercial cylinder oil, the operator can use main engine or auxiliary engine system oil and add the additives.
• Some modifications to the existing piping and tank allocation will be necessary (no new tank installations).
• The blended cylinder oil is pumped to the cylinder oil tank or directly to the cylinder oil daily tank.
• BOB is already approved by ABS and Lloyds Register.
• Optimize the overall engine lubrication performance and costs
• Keep constant low cylinder oil feed rate also at high fuel sulfur contents
• Keep the engine clean
You are provide a total service ranging from pre-inspection of the location where the equipment is installed, installation, commissioning, engine performance analysis and NOx emission measurement to trouble shooting.
We can install the upgrade kit for all RTA and RT-flex engines with multiple turbochargers. The modified engine can be operated at any time up to its full installed power for full sea speed.
The installation and commissioning of the upgrade kit can be completed during normal commercial operation of the ship and during normal port calls for the majority of engine types.
• Major savings in fuel costs and a major reduction in BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption)
• Extend the load range of engine for continuous operation
• Prevent the risk of engine fouling and excessive component temperatures in case of continuous operating that is below 50% of engine load
Scope of supply: on a turn-key basis
• Pre-inspection before modification
• Engine performance analysis before and after modification
• Turbocharger shut-off valves, new piping, manifold compensators, cabling, control system and all other parts and materials, including transport to ship
• Installation and commissioning
• NOx emission measurement and certification
Concept of upgrade kit:
• Cutting out a turbocharger when the engine is to be operated at low load
• Increasing of the scavenge air delivery at low load for better combustion and more optimum temperatures of engine components
• Fitting remotely controlled shut off valves on the exhaust duct and air ducts
• Fitting a control system to operate the valves
• RPLS: although not included in the standard scope of supply for the kit, it is highly recommended that the engine is equipped with the Pulse Lubricating System (PLS). This well-proven electronically-controlled cylinder lubrication system will ensure reliable engine operation during prolonged slow steaming.
You have full package services for Wärtsilä 4-stroke engines and other makes. Overhauls can be done during sailing, dry docking, alongside, anchorage, etc. We ensure the reliable performance of our customers installations, from regular running hour based maintenance to accidental repair.
We are confident in achieving the highest levels of satisfaction as an engine maker by providing the utmost level of quality and service to our clients.
• Improve vessel operation efficiency through planned maintenance
• Operation sustainability and engine risk reduction through pre-inspection
• Immediate response for parts and flexible man power arrangement
• Technical support from respective engine makers
• Fuel injection pump and nozzle overhaul
• Piston and liner overhaul
• Cylinder head overhaul
• Injection timing adjustment and camshaft overhaul
• Crankshaft replacement
• Engine block replacement
• Engine control system maintenance (WECS, UNIC)
Our service can cover
Wärtsilä product engines;
- Wärtsilä 20, 20DF, 26, 32, 32GD, 34SG, 38, 46, 46F
- Wärtsilä 50DF, 50SG, 64
- Wärtsilä Auxpac 20, 26
- Wärtsilä 20L
- UD25, 30, 33, 45 engines
- W200 engines
- Bolnes, Crepelle, Deutz marine, Nohab, Stork, Sulzer A/S
- Wärtsilä 32DF, 32GD, 38A, Vasa32
By applying the latest technology, expertise and design with our state of the art equipment, we provide the highest standard of quality and warranties for all reconditioned components.
In accordance with our overhaul procedure, only genuine spare parts are used. Each reconditioning component will be delivered to the end customer with the overhaul protocol and test records as hard copy files.
Well maintained fuel injection equipment has a great impact on engine performance and installation operating costs.
Overhauling of injection equipment:
• Fuel injection valves (2-S, 4-S, DF)
• Fuel pumps (2-S, 4-S)
• Relief valves
• 2-Stroke fuel pumps blocks
• High pressure pipe
• Gas admission valves
By applying the latest technology, expertise and design, our reconditioning services provide the highest standard of quality and warranties for all reconditioned components. Reconditioning quality is guaranteed by our controlled and approved welding procedures, machining processes and through metallurgical examinations before, during and after reconditioning.
Our machines and equipment are located in our state of the art workshop in Busan, Korea.
We provide exchange pool services with reconditioned parts and engines directly from our global stock.
• Remanufacturing of 2-Stroke and 4-Stroke components achieves maximum service life with minimized maintenance costs without compromising reliability and performance.
• With Wärtsilä’s cost effective manufacturing methods you will be able to achieve maximum service life of components.
The component reconditioning service includes:
• Cylinder covers (2-S)
• Piston crowns (2-S, 4-S)
• Piston rods (2-S)
• Exhaust valves/seats (2-S)
• Chrome plating
• Hydraulic piston/rod
Our experienced welding specialists are the leading force in carrying out the structural repair on diesel engines in the world.
All structural welding repairs are carried out in accordance with Classification Societies and in closer cooperation with manufacturer specific procedures. All our welding personnel are certified by the leading shipping business Classification Societies.
‘We are ready to move’ with a full package of the necessary parts and equipment in our ‘flying containers’ wherever our customers need us to be.
• The optimum solution is provided.
• With only one contact, you can cover your entire work scope including dismantling, welding, inspection by CWI(‘Certified Welding Inspector according to AWS Standard’), machining and reassembling.
• Bedplate and gear column crack repair
• frame crack repair
• Air receiver crack repair
• Engine modification
• Engine room and deck piping system renewal or modification
• Charge air cooler drain system modification
• Hatch cover crack repair
• Hull steel plate repair
• Water tight door crack repair
• Ballast tank, tank top, etc.
Since every damage case is unique, our engineers and machining experts assess the damaged components and are able to offer the best combination of repair method:
• Crankshaft post heat treatment in order to lower the hardness of the overheated areas
• Material removal by cutting, which is the safest method to prevent further heating damages of the crankshaft material
• Grinding of radius areas and oil inlet holes
• Superfinish (polishing) of the final surface
Fretting between main bearing shells and girders on large 2-Stroke engines can roughen up the girder surface and complicate the bearing exchange.
We are available to customize the machining basket to any journal size so as to machine or polish the affected girder areas located under the fitted crankshaft.
You can save long auxiliary engine downtimes or minimize off-hire times of your main engines. By machining the crankshaft in place without dismantling it from the engine, the repair time and costs are drastically reduced.
With our many years of experience in crankshaft repairs we can guarantee a desirable result.
All types of crankshafts:
• Main Bearing Journal repairs
• Crank Pin repairs
• Pin and journal diameter between 170-1200mm
• Possibility to machine the 2-Stroke main bearing girders (saddles) without lifting the crankshaft
• Material can be removed by cutting (bits) rotating grinders or superfinish oscillating head
• The machining depth can be reduced by heat treatment (annealing) of the overheated surface
With our wide range of line ore machines and experience from various repairs, our innovative machining experts are able to propose a suitable repair method.
In-line bores and cylindrical survaces can be machined by a cutting bit rotating on a well supported shaft.
• Machining of in-line bores of 80mm to 600mm diameter
• Maximizing the length of machining channel is 6000mm
• Machining of flanges and sealing surfaces up to diameters of 700mm (expandable) 120mm axial machining length possible
Our laser alignment equipment can be used to align the boring bar in long bearing channels and can also be used to verify the final result.
• Realigning of bearing channels
• Machining or restoring of large threads
• Machining of flange coupling pin-holes
• Bearing boss machining on 2-Stroke columns after welding repairs
• Restoring damaged liner sealing surfaces
• Machining oversized bearing bores
Over the years our machining experts have developed portable milling and machine frams with various heads:
• Portable plane milling machine with a machining range of maximal 1700mm
• Portable rotating frame for diameters up to 3500 mm
Different milling head arrangements allow parallel or perpendicular machining angles to the main sliding plane, grinding heads, superfinish heads etc.
Tailor-made applications are possible.
Possibility to combine with in-house 2-D Laser alignment
Insitu machining can achieve results with high accuracy within short period of time. Combined with our laser alignment measuring methods we guarantee a desirable result.
• Guide rail machining of 2-Stroke crosshead engines
• Machinery foundations (crane pedestals etc)
• Rudder stock keyway machining
Pre-inspection report of the incoming liner is done to decide wether honing is recommended or not.
After completion of honing, the surface of cylinder liner is carefully inspected and microscopic judgement is taken in order to verify the liner micro structure.
Liner surface roughness parameters Ra, Rpk, Rvk are recorded and compared to the drawing specification.
Careful high pressure cleaning after machining is essential to remove free particles and honing grains from the liner surface and bores.
• Regular honing of 4S liners will result in reduced system oil consumption
• 2-Stroke liners honing is recommended in the case of uneven or sudden wear.
• Restoring of the Wavecut shape is recommended by some makes.
• Deep plateau honing of all 2-Stroke cylinder liners
• In-situ honing of 2-Stroke all cylinder liners
• Wavecut machining of 2-Stroke liners
• Plateau honing of 4-Stroke liners
We have experts specialized in marine and land based 2-Stroke and 4-Stroke installations and propulsion products.
Our experts in each field are avaiable 24/7 around the globe and ready to assist the operators.
Supported by a strong local technical service team and by utilizing our expert service capabilities, our first priority is to ensure a trouble free and efficient operation of the machinery or plant.
High quality and accurate reporting with action recommendations is a basis for proper planning and follow-up of the installation.
Site surveys can also be part of Operation and Maintenance Agreements between the operator and Wärtsilä.
Have real experts on site capable of solving your problems and extend the lifetime of your equipment.
Receive a high quality survey report with recommendations for improvements.
• Regular Surveys (Preventive Maintenance)
• Dry-docking Surveys
• Shop test and Sea trial attendance
• Damage investigations
• Engine performance evaluation
• Tribological investigations (piston running)
• Engine and shaft alignment
Our warehouse maintains a pool of renewed RT-flex engine components for immediate exchange which are service tested in our qualified renewal centre.
Costs for renewed RT-flex engine components are substantially lower compared to the cost of new components.
Wärtsilä is offering renewed engine components on a exchange basis for RT-flex engine types.
By returning used RT-flex engine components, you will receive a price reduction on renewed components.
RT-flex Engine component renewal service includes:
• ICU (Injection control units)
• FOP(Supply unit fuel injection pumps)
• SOP(DYNEX Servo oil pump)
• IFA (Intermediate fuel accumulator)
• PCV (Pressure control valve for rail unit)
• CLU-4(-4C) (Pulse Lubrication Pump)